DA reacts on Nkandla report
Pretoria - The Nkandla report proves President Jacob Zuma did not use government money to erect any buildings in his KwaZulu-Natal homestead, the ANC said on Sunday.
“This report vindicates the President and our belief in the innocence of the President in this regard, on what he consistently said were lies and that he personally built his residence and that the government only built security features that are prescribed in relevant security prescripts,” spokesman Jackson Mthembu said in a statement.
The party welcomed the decision to probe irregularities in the awarding of tenders to service providers and consultants who worked on security upgrades at Nkandla.
Earlier on Sunday Public Works Minister Thulas Nxesi announced the findings of an investigation into the money spent on Nkandla.
The Democratic Alliance said Sunday's press briefing was a poor attempt to shield Zuma from being held accountable for the waste of public money.
“The 'task team' seems more determined to nail low ranking officials for this scandal than to answer legitimate concerns about how President Zuma could have allowed this to happen without taking action,” DA parliamentary leader Lindiwe Mazibuko said in a statement.
“The fact that this report will not be made public brings into question its independence and casts a further shadow on the entire scandal.”
There were still many questions unanswered.
Mazibuko intended to call on Nxesi to table the report in Parliament for debate. If he refused to do so National Assembly Speaker Max Sisulu needed to intervene, she said. - Sapa