Visagie vows to sue the State
Bloemfontein - The leader of the Geloftevolk Republiekeine (GVR), André Visagie, will not allow the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) to “touch him in his studio”, after he was implicated in supporting acts of terrorism and treason.
During the bail application of the four accused implicated in plotting to blow up a hall at the ANC’s elective conference in December, the prosecution on Friday said that one of the accused, Martin Keevy, had communicated to Visagie about their plans through e-mails.
Keevy, 47, along with Mark Trollip, 49, Johan Prinsloo, 49, and Hein Boonzaaier, 50, are standing trial in the Bloemfontein Magistrate’s Court on charges of high treason and conspiracy to commit terrorism.
There were also elaborate plans to poison a catchment area with agricultural chemicals in Bloemfontein.
They planned to rid the world of the ANC President Jacob Zuma and his deputies while they dined with delegates.
Visagie said this weekend that he was in consultation with his advocate to take legal steps against the NPA.
“The GVR will never support acts of terrorism or violence. These insinuations will damage both my reputation as well as the future of the GVR.
“In the event that this profanity cannot be proven, the person responsible for fabricating this lie from hell, will have to pay the price.
“The State advocate and the Directorate for Public Prosecutions will be taken to task because this amounts to defamation of character. The GVR is also not a far right extremist organisation.”
He added that he had received an e-mail dated March 24 2012 from Keevy that proposed the cutting off of water and electricity supplies to townships across the country.
“I told him to correspond with me in writing when he contacted me. I was never a role player in any plans that would involve the use of military weapons,” Visagie explained.
“I never replied to his e-mails, because his strategy of sabotage did not make a much sense to me.”
Visagie explained that, while he knew Prinsloo, Boonzaier and Keevy through previous invitations to attend meetings in his capacity as GVR leader, he was not present at the meeting that took place in Springs where the accused allegedly met to discuss how they would overthrow government.
He indicated that he was not permitted to attend the court proceedings on Friday due to restrictions on his bail conditions after he was charged with the illegal possession of firearms and ammunition.
He added that he would submit an application to have his bail conditions relaxed since the charges of treason and terrorism had been dropped against him.
Visagie pointed out that bloodshed would not achieve anything and stated that separate sovereign states would prevent the outbreak of civil war.
“There will always be cultural, political and racial differences. Can we not discuss our circumstances instead of resorting to violence,” Visage asked.
Spokesman for the NPA in the Free State and Northern Cape region, Phaladi Shuping, said that the NPA had not yet received notice of Visagie’s intentions to take legal action against them.
Diamond Fields Advertiser