SABC cans Zapiro interview
Johannesburg - The SABC has canned a television interview with cartoonist Jonathan Shapiro, better known as Zapiro, The Times newspaper reported on Thursday.
Zapiro said the pre-recorded show was not aired following “orders from above”.
“Even in the interview it felt like I was being pushed into having to say something positive about the president,” he was quoted as saying.
SABC spokesman Kaizer Kganyago told The Times he did not know the reasons behind the decision to cancel the Interface interview.
“The problem is that everyone thinks a decision is taken because of them. It is not personal.”
In October, Zuma withdrew a damages claim against Zapiro for a cartoon depicting him unbuckling his trousers as his allies hold down Lady Justice.
Several other political shows have recently been canned by the SABC.
Last week, a radio talkshow where three journalists were expected to discuss the upcoming Mangaung conference was cancelled.
The SABC defended its actions - saying there should have been ANC delegates present to ensure the show was balanced.
Earlier this week, The Times reported on a letter purportedly written by SABC reporters, producers and presenters accusing the broadcaster of political interference.
The workers claimed to have been “taken to task” for not giving adequate coverage to President Jacob Zuma.
The SABC announced this week it would centralise control of talkshows across all its radio stations. - Sapa