‘I never thought that I would be back here’
The following is a list of key quotes from the 85th Academy Awards held on Sunday at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood:
“I was here 15 years ago.... I never thought that I would be back here.”
- Actor-director Ben Affleck, on accepting the best picture Oscar for his Iran hostage drama “Argo,” 15 years after he won his first Academy Award with Matt Damon for best original screenplay for “Good Will Hunting.”
“Three years ago, before we decided to do a straight swap, I had been committed to play Margaret Thatcher... Meryl was Steven (Spielberg)'s first choice for 'Lincoln. And I'd like to see that version.”
- Daniel Day-Lewis, picking up his record third best actor Oscar for “Lincoln,” referring to presenter Meryl Streep's Oscar-winning performance as the former British premier in “The Iron Lady.”
“How did it happen? Look at my dress. I tried to walk up stairs in this dress. That's what happened. I trod on the fabric, they waxed the stairs.”
- Best actress winner Jennifer Lawrence, the star of “Silver Linings Playbook,” after she tripped while heading up on stage to collect her award.
YEAR OF THE WRITERS
“It's such an honor to get it this year because I have to say, in both the original and the adapted categories, the writing is just fantastic. This will be the writers' year, man.”
- Director Quentin Tarantino, who won the Oscar for best original screenplay for “Django Unchained” - the same award he won in 1995 for “Pulp Fiction.”
“Thank you, movie god.”
- Ang Lee, accepting the best director Oscar for “Life of Pi.”
SHE DREAMED A DREAM
“It came true.”
- Anne Hathaway, accepting her best supporting actress award for her turn in musical adaptation “Les Miserables” as dying prostitute Fantine, which includes the power song “I Dreamed a Dream.”
PARTY GIRL NO MORE
“One glass of champagne and I'm done these days.”
- British singer Adele, speaking backstage about her post-Oscars plans after winning the prize for best original song for the theme from “Skyfall.”
WHERE ARE WE AGAIN?
“Welcome to the White House, everyone.”
- First Lady Michelle Obama, helping to present the best picture Oscar to “Argo” via videolink from Washington.
“We saw your boobs, we saw your boobs.”
- Host Seth MacFarlane crooning in his opening monologue about the many actresses who have flashed their breasts in films. - Sapa-AFP