Jub Jub ‘hurt’ over deaths
Johannesburg - Convicted murderer Molemo “Jub Jub” Maarohanye said on Tuesday he was hurt by the deaths and injuries of six school boys.
“I'm really hurt sir, but I will leave that (sentence) up to the justice system,” Maarohanye said during an urgent bail application in the Protea Magistrate's Court after he was found guilty.
“I understand the reaction to my actions. I'm happy this (trial) reached the end and that the families can move forward... Justice has run its course.”
Musician Maarohanye and Themba Tshabalala were found guilty of four counts of murder, two of attempted murder, use of drugs, racing on a public road, and driving under the influence of drugs.
The State brought an application for Maarohanye and Tshabalala to be kept in custody after they were found guilty of schedule six offences such as murder.
Maarohanye had to wait for Legal Aid to help him as his lawyers would not represent him during the urgent bail application. He said it was not about him, as he had 17 employees and wanted to ensure the business and his two-year-old son were taken care of.
“Its not about me... I already knew my life was over on Friday,” he said.
Maarohanye and Tshabalala were drag-racing in Protea North on March 8, 2010 when they crashed into a group of schoolchildren. Prince Mohube, Mlungisi Cwayi, Andile Mthombeni and Phomello Masemola, were killed.
Frank Mlambo and Fumani Mushwana were left permanently brain damaged.
Families of the schoolchildren were upset that Tshabalala and Maarohanye had applied for bail.
“Them applying for bail means they show no remorse,” one of the mothers said outside court.
Tshabalala and Maarohanye would have to prove exceptional circumstances existed for bail to be granted.
Maarohanye indicated he could afford R15 000 bail, and Tshabalala R20 000.
The State argued that Maarohanye was a flight risk as he had already tried to go to Nigeria and Mozambique, countries with no extradition laws with South Africa, for business.
The courtroom was packed on Tuesday with many people standing to hear the outcome. The bail application continues.
Sentencing will take place on November 30. - Sapa